Advertisement

Deaf man killed in house fire, friends have concerns about proper devices

69 year-old man was killed in a fire, and his friends have questions about the incident.
Published: Sep. 17, 2021 at 11:39 PM EDT
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

TOLEDO, Ohio (WTVG) - A deaf man was killed in a house fire last week, and now some concerns are being raised in the wake of his death.

“There is a deaf guy who lives there. It’s in the front of his house. Hurry it’s coming up high!” That’s the 911 call made on Friday morning, about the house fire on Adelaide Drive in Toledo.

When Toledo Fire arrived on the scene, they say the house was engulfed in flames. A 69-year-old deaf man was found dead upstairs.

“It’s like I just saw you last night and here we are in this mess,” said his friend Shannon Seger, who is also deaf and serves as the Director of the Deaf Services Center in Northwest Ohio. “I think It was pretty much a shock to hear of his loss in the house fire.”

Seger has some concerns about the fire.

“Did he have the proper devices,” Seger said. “Typically, when we lose a person who is deaf in a type of fire it is because they did not have the proper alert system devices.”

Seger says those alarms can be bed shakers, that vibrate to wake up hearing-impaired individuals, or visual alarms that flash lights.

According to the American Red Cross, alongside its partners install free smoke alarms and bed shaker alarms for those hard of hearing. Click here to find out more.

See a spelling or grammar error in our story? Please include the title when you click here to report it.

Copyright 2021 WTVG. All rights reserved.